U Visas Allow Immigration Relief for Crime Victims

With a U visa, crime victims can stay in the United States even if they came into the U.S. in an undocumented way. These visas are available to victims of certain crimes who are able to help law enforcement officials get a conviction against the criminal responsible. The U visa can help not only the crime victim but also children and spouses of the victim.

If you have been the victim of an abusive crime, it is a good idea to talk to an attorney to find out if this visa is an option for you.

Process of Seeking a U Visa Can Be Very Tedious

One difficulty with applying for a U visa is that you often have to work very hard to get law enforcement officials to provide the proper documentation you need. The prosecutor or law enforcement agency that you worked with must certify that you helped them and that the conviction would not have happened without your testimony. These officials are focused on crime rather than immigration law, so it can take some tenacity to get them to provide the documentation needed for the visa process.

In addition, you also need to thoroughly document that you suffered physical or mental harm as a result of the crime, and it can be difficult to get sufficient evidence together to support that requirement as well.

What Crimes Can Qualify You to Receive a U Visa?

The list of crimes that can make a victim eligible for a U visa is too long to list here, but some examples include:

  • Abusive sexual contact
  • Involuntary servitude
  • False imprisonment
  • Domestic violence
  • Female genital mutilation
  • Trafficking
  • Stalking
  • Kidnapping

The crime must have occurred in the U.S. or it must violate U.S. laws. A victim must have information about the criminal activity and be helpful during the investigation or prosecution of the crime to be eligible.

Work with an Experienced Attorney to Get a U Visa to Move Forward After Your Suffering

If you have been physically or mentally harmed by criminal activity, you should not have to suffer the further harm of deportation if it can be avoided. You may be eligible for a U visa to remain lawfully in the U.S.

You can schedule a confidential consultation with a dedicated immigration lawyer at the American Dream Law Office and learn whether you should apply for this visa and the steps to take to improve your status and future opportunities for yourself and your family. Contact us now to get started.