L Intracompany Transferee Visa

The L intracompany transferee visa is a great option for international executives, managers, and persons with special knowledge. The L intracompany transferee visa allows its holder to apply for permanent residence as an international executive or manager. Persons with special knowledge must apply for permanent residence using the second preference.

An applicant must be employed by the international branch for one year before admission.

What is the L Intracompany Transferee Visa?

The L visa allows an international executive or manager to come to the United States to manage a branch of an affiliate, branch, or subsidiary of an international company. The two companies must be affiliates, branches, or subsidiaries. This could be shown by common ownership or control by the international branch. The two companies must be operating and producing income. The two companies must also have employees which the L visa applicant overseas. In the case of a person with special knowledge, the person must show that he has uncommon knowledge regarding the company’s procedures or products.

International Executives L-1A Visa

An international executive is defined as a person who:

  • Directs the management of the company or a major component
  • Establishes goals and policies
  • Receives minimal supervision from higher-ups in the company

The American Dream™ Law office has helped international executives apply for their intracompany visa. Call us today to schedule a consultation to discuss your options.

International Manager L-1A Visa

An international manager could benefit from the L1-A visa if she:

  • Manages the organization, department, subdivision, function, or component in the company
  • Supervises the work of other supervisory, professional, or managerial employees, or manages an essential function of the company
  • Has the authority to hire or recommend employees
  • Exercises discretion over day-to-day operations

Specialized Knowledge L1-B Visa

Persons with specialized knowledge may benefit from the L1-B visa. Congress has defined specialized knowledge as knowledge of the company’s products in international markets or advanced knowledge of processes and procedures of the company. Examples of Specialized Knowledge include:

  • Foreign operating conditions of significant value to the employer
  • Assignments that have enhanced operations
  • Knowledge gained through previous employment with the employer

As mentioned above, persons with specialized knowledge must go through the labor certification process to gain permanent residence in the United States.

Intracompany Transfer to a New Branch

The duration of the L intracompany transferee visa is two years and must be renewed. There is a 6 years limit on the L visa duration. However, a new branch in the United States allows initial approval for one year only. Lastly, the purchase of an existing company that has existed for more than one year allows for initial approval for two years.

L Visa Application Process

The application has to be filed in the United States by either the United States branch or the parent company. If the Beneficiary is not in the United States, the application would be transferred to the consulate for processing. A Beneficiary can file for a change of status if they are in the United States at the time of the application.

Call us today for a consultation at 1-888-963-7326.

    "*" indicates required fields

    Hiring an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely on advertising. The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters, and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.*

    Our Locations


    4815 E Busch Blvd., Ste 206
    Tampa, FL 33617 United States

    Get Directions

    St. Petersburg

    8130 66th St N #3
    Pinellas Park, FL 33781

    Get Directions


    1060 Woodcock Road
    Orlando, FL 32803, USA

    Get Directions

    New York City

    495 Flatbush Ave. Second Floor Brooklyn, NY 11225, USA

    Get Directions


    66 W Flagler St 9th Floor
    Miami, FL 33130, United States

    Get Directions