Same-Sex Marriage Green Card

The provisions in United States immigration law that make green cards available to the spouses of U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents apply to same-sex couples as well heterosexual couples. Requirements to demonstrate eligibility can be more challenging for LGTQ+ couples, however, particularly when certain countries are involved.

Assistance from a knowledgeable immigration lawyer can help avoid many potential pitfalls when applying for a same-sex marriage green card. At American Dream™ Law Office, we understand the type of evidence you need to present to show that you qualify, and we are ready to assist if problems arise or unusual delays occur.

Proving a Same-Sex Marriage in Genuine

Because immigration officials are so concerned with fraudulent marriages where couples marry just for immigration purposes, they generally take a suspicious approach to all marriage-based green card applications. All couples need to demonstrate that they have a bona fide marriage relationship. This is often more difficult for same-sex couples because some of the evidence typically used to prove the validity of the relationship may not be available. For instance:

  • You might not have photos of you at family gatherings if relatives do not accept your relationship
  • You might not be able to answer questions about your spouse’s family if you don’t have contact with them because of homophobia
  • Your spouse might not be listed as your emergency contact person or beneficiary if you fear repercussions
  • You might not have a joint lease if your landlord is prejudiced against same-sex couples
  • If one partner had a prior heterosexual marriage, immigration officials might assume that at least one relationship was fraudulent

Immigration attorneys know strategies to handle these potential difficulties. It is important to be honest and complete throughout the process, yet it is also necessary to understand when your information might send up a red flag to officials so that you can be prepared with answers to explain an apparent discrepancy.

Proving a Same-Sex Marriage is Valid

In order for a same-sex relationship to provide eligibility for a green card, the relationship must be formalized through a valid marriage, not just a civil union. The marriage must be recognized as valid in the country where it was performed. 

If a same-sex couple marries in a country that refuses to legally recognize same-sex marriage, it might make the most sense to apply for a fiancé visa and get married (again) in the United States. Despite some state laws to the contrary, U.S. federal law allows same-sex couples to marry, and federal law overrides state law.

A Dedicated Immigration Attorney Can Help Same-Sex Couples Obtain Green Cards

U.S. laws provide equal immigration opportunities for same-sex couples, but the path to demonstrate that you qualify for those opportunities is not quite the same. A skilled immigration lawyer at American Dream™ Law Office understands the challenges you face and the best ways to overcome those challenges.

To learn more or schedule a strategy session to find out how we can help you reach your goals, contact our office now.

Contact Us

    "*" indicates required fields

    Hiring an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely on advertising. The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters, and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.*

    Our Locations


    4815 E Busch Blvd., Ste 206
    Tampa, FL 33617 United States

    Get Directions

    St. Petersburg

    8130 66th St N #3
    Pinellas Park, FL 33781

    Get Directions


    1060 Woodcock Road
    Orlando, FL 32803, USA

    Get Directions

    New York City

    495 Flatbush Ave. Second Floor Brooklyn, NY 11225, USA

    Get Directions


    66 W Flagler St 9th Floor
    Miami, FL 33130, United States

    Get Directions