Work Authorization

Employment authorization standards are enforced much more strictly than they used to be. Workers who are not citizens or lawful permanent residents need to show that they have appropriate authorization from immigration authorities before they can work legally in the United States.

At American Dream™ Law Office, we know how important it is to obtain employment authorization forms as quickly as possible. We also know how to avoid mistakes applicants commonly make when applying for work authorization, and how applicants can demonstrate that they meet the qualifications. When you allow us to assist with the process of obtaining employment authorization, we can prevent many problems before they arise and help you resolve any difficulties or delays as quickly as possible.

What Do You Need Before You Can Work?

Some workers enter the U.S. with visas that allow them to obtain employment without specific work authorization forms. They may be restricted to working for one specific employer or may have the option to change jobs. Other workers entering the U.S. need to apply for formal work authorization before they can take on employment. Still others are not eligible to work at paid employment at all. 

The first step is to determine which category you fit into and be certain to abide by the rules applicable to that category. Violations of work-related rules can have a negative impact on your immigration status. In many situations, an employer must file a petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and obtain approval from the U.S. Department of Labor before they can hire workers from outside the U.S.

Employment Authorization Document

The Form I-766 Employment Authorization Document (EAD) is one of the most common documents foreign workers use to prove that they are eligible for lawful employment in the U.S. Although USICS refers to the EAD as a document, it is generally issued as an identification card similar to a green card.

Workers who need to apply for an EAD to work include:

  • Visa applicants waiting for action on a pending Form I-485 adjustment of status
  • Applicants waiting for action on a pending Form I-589 asylum application
  • Workers in the U.S. on a visa that permits employment only after obtaining work authorization (such as a F-1 or M-1 student visa)
  • Individuals granted refugee or asylum status
  • Individuals who qualified for certain types of relief such as U visa for victims of criminal activity

An experienced immigration lawyer could review your situation to determine whether you need to obtain an EAD in order to work and assist with the application process. In addition to filing the required Form I-765, applicants need to present appropriate documentation to demonstrate they meet eligibility requirements. Most EADs are granted for a one-or two-year period but can often be renewed.

A Dedicated Immigration Attorney Can Help You Gain Authorization for Employment

The requirements for work authorization in the U.S. are complex and change frequently in response to political pressure and economic circumstances. When you consult an experienced work authorization attorney at American Dream™ Law Office, we can help you take advantage of all available opportunities and ensure that your applications fulfill all current requirements. Contact us now to find out how we could help meet your needs.

Contact Us

    "*" indicates required fields

    Hiring an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely on advertising. The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters, and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.*

    Our Locations


    4815 E Busch Blvd., Ste 206
    Tampa, FL 33617 United States

    Get Directions

    St. Petersburg

    8130 66th St N #3
    Pinellas Park, FL 33781

    Get Directions


    1060 Woodcock Road
    Orlando, FL 32803, USA

    Get Directions

    New York City

    495 Flatbush Ave. Second Floor Brooklyn, NY 11225, USA

    Get Directions


    66 W Flagler St 9th Floor
    Miami, FL 33130, United States

    Get Directions